This is an interesting interview to listen to. The person who is speaking is Afrikaan, a South African man with Dutch heritage. You may need to listen a few times to catch what he says. Take a look at some of the vocabulary and expressions before you listen to make it easier to follow along. These questions are from ESL library.com, a resource for ESL teachers.
Key Vocabulary and Expressions from the Interview
- BMI (body mass index)
- in the blink of an eye
- broke the camel’s back
- kicked out
- on the dole
- stuck between a rock and a hard place
- Why does the government feel that this man’s health is not at an “acceptable standard”?
- What does the earthquake have to do with this man’s problem?
- How is the man currently dealing with the situation?
- Do you agree with the South African man that all of this is “totally unfair”?
- Do you agree with the interviewer that chefs have more food temptations than other people?
- Should people on a work permit be allowed to “go on the dole”?
- What suggestion would you have for this man and his wife?